Saturday, November 29, 2008

Learning 2.0

I am excited about the possibilities that computers, YouTube and other applications provide for students and adults to express themselves in creative ways. It is exciting that we can literally post our ideas so that anyone with access to a computer can see them. I’ve added David Warwick’s 2cents blog to my RSS. I understand that we have technology that was undreamed of when I was in the K-12 school system. I really enjoy discovering new applications and what they can do, but when all is said and done, not all students have equal access to computers, cameras and camcorders. Yes, every school day I walk down hallways to see students with their iPods, mp3 players, and camera phones. And yes, there are probably more students that have these then don’t, but what about the students in many of the low income areas that don’t have these products.

I know many students are tech savvy but what do we mean by tech savvy? They can set up a multimedia projector? They can create a PowerPoint? They can take pictures or video and create a project? Does it have meaning? Does it solve or suggest a solution to a problem? Does it show critical thinking? Are we creating value?

While I have seen some really great videos on YouTube, I have also seen that there are some really dreadful ones that I wouldn’t want to admit I made. Blogs and videos give access to pretty much anyone with the knowledge of how to type or take video to put their ideas out in the world to be seen. I suspect less than 50% is actually seen by the majority of the www public.

Is Learning 2.0 a force for learning, yes! Is everyone going to utilize it? Not so sure. It seems like teachers that aren’t recent graduates (within the last 5 years) are still struggling with how to implement the new technology. I’m not faulting anyone; I know that it takes time and experimenting to learn how to use anything new. We all find ourselves just trying to keep up with the work we already know how to teach. So I guess that leaves me with more questions then answers.

No comments: